Did you enjoy a previous VCON? We hope you did. Actually, we are confident that you did. If this is your first one, we are confident that you will enjoy it. But understand this: VCON is a fan-oriented and fan-run convention. All of the work that is necessary to make a successful con happen is done by volunteers. Done by the few, the proud, the elite. Join us, and help to make VCON 41 a success!
What needs to be done? Everything! From planning, which begins one year before a con and earlier, to recruiting, to advertising, to preparing, to setting up the event on T-1, to taking down everything on T+4, and especially all the things that happen on the 4 days of the event, it’s all done by volunteers. The international celebrities that we bring in are all volunteering their time, although they get small stipends, the local celebrities that attend are all volunteering their time, the department heads, and by no means least important, the people who offer a few hours to be gofers or to run a single workshop or whatever, they are all volunteers.
But value is given, and value is returned. There are lots of good reasons to be a VCON volunteer. Here are 5 benefits that you might get in exchange for volunteering. We promise that you will get 4 of the following 5 things, our choice, when you volunteer for VCON.
1) Free entry to the con. The basic calculation is that someone who volunteers for 4 hours gets free entry for one day.
2) Cred. Do not discount this effect. Your peers will look upon you with awe.
3) A good feeling.
4) Good karma. Notwithstanding any of the other benefits, when you participate in a worthy cause, you get good karma. Anyway, that’s what we heard (to paraphrase Jackie Chan, playing the Drunken Monk in The Forbidden Kingdom).
5) A fistful of $$$. And a few $$$ more. *
Now, the technical details. To start the process, click a Volunteer button and commit yourself to the tender mercies of the Volunteer Coordinator. Or let us know in your own way, if you prefer.
* These are obviously out of genre. Volunteers won’t get these, although if someone volunteers to run a video room, we may show these movies.
For more information contact … volunteers[at]vcon[dot]ca