Lights, Camera, Fiction!
Calling all puppeteers, storytellers, and filmmakers! A shared love of film, TV, and other video performances are one of the things that draw us together as a community, and we want to encourage the creative spark in all of us by hosting fan films, videos, skits or taped performances by members of both the local & online fandom at this years VCON! From fully produced shorts to skits acted out and filmed with puppets, please feel free to submit it to the contest and to be showcased at the convention!
Films will be judged in one of three categories:
- “Best Animated Film” (2d, 3d, stop motion, whatever)
- “Best Live Action Film”
- “Best Film Produced† by Teen or Youth” (Ages 18 and under)
We are also willing to showcase videos that you, yourself, did not produce, so long as you have obtained official permission by the creators or distributor for us to screen it. Such videos will only be showcased, however, and not judged for the contest.
How to submit
25 28 September 2016
To submit your entry or a film for showcase, please send an email to the Video Contest Coordinator, Russ Quick, at russ [dot] quick [at] vcon [dot] ca, with the following information:
- Title of your film
- Names and (if applicable) ages of the people responsible for producing it
- Brief description of the film
When your email is received, you will be sent a link to a semi-private shared Google Drive folder where you can upload a digital version of the video. (Semi-private as anyone with the link can add files to the folder, but you’ll be the only one we send it to). Note that you will need to log into a Google account in order to upload your file. If you do not have a Google account, mention that in your email and we will find another way for you to submit your entry.
- Video must be related, at least somewhat, to this year’s VCON theme: Puppets, Muppets, & Marionettes. This includes anything featuring OR ABOUT puppets! Stop-motion, claymation, music videos, puppet documentary videos, dancing fruit or shadow puppets, it’s all good! Our definition of “puppet” is pretty loose (see this blog post: Our Crazy Theme!) so we welcome your convincing arguments if yours are “non-standard”.
- Videos must be between 30 seconds and 10 minutes in length.
- Previously filmed projects are welcome (That is, they do not have to have been filmed expressly for our contest), provided they are thematically appropriate!
- Anyone submitting an entry to the contest must either be credited or involved in the creation of the video.
- Anyone submitting a third party film for the showcase must be able to provide proof of permission from the creators or distributors to showcase it.
- All entries will be vetted by staff. VCON reserves the right to accept or not accept videos based on length or content concerns.
- Members of the VCON 41 ConCom and other volunteers not directly involved with judging the videos ARE allowed to submit entries to the contest.
- Submission email must have a time stamp no later than 11:59 PM,
2528 September 2016, (Pacific) to be eligible for judging.
- If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact the coordinator at russ [dot] quick [at] vcon [dot] ca